Cats are one of the most popular pets in an American household, today. According to a national pet owners survey, there were over 95.6 million cats living in the US alone in 2017. The Cat Fancier’s Association, the largest registration body of cats in the United States of America recognizes 44 breeds of cats. You all know how much adorable cats are, but there are some facts about cats that you might not know. These facts about cats are specifically useful for feline lovers and cat owners.
Facts About Cats:
- Cats cannot detect sweetness, which is why they are not drawn to sweet things like humans are.
- Cats only use their meows to communicate with humans, apart from that a cat only meows when it is a kitten to communicate with its mother.
- Despite the fact that cats drink milk, cats are actually lactose intolerant.
- Indoor cats live around 12-18 years of age but they can also reach their early 20s, the oldest cat Creme puff lived for 38 years of age.
- Cats can jump around 8 feet in the air in a single bound, that’s nearly six times its length.
- A cat’s sense of smell is 14 times better than humans, in fact, cats sense of smell is its strongest sense.
- Cats only sweat through its paws.
- A cat has 32 muscles in its ears, it can rotate its ear 180 degrees.
- A cat’s 70% life is spent sleeping and 15% of life grooming itself.
- A cats nose is unique, similar to a human fingerprint.
- A cat’s heartbeat at rest is around 110-140, that’s nearly double than a human.
- The hearing ability of a cat is 5 times better than a human.
Whether you intend to get a cat or you are a cat owner you should have a thorough understanding of cat care.